Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Finding My True Calling


Image from Graphics Fairy

God's children are called to give best in everything they do and in any situations. Passion and joy confirm the True Calling.

Introductions became pressuring when I became a Physicist’s wife. After Jon overwhelmed the people with his profession, they turn to me with anticipation asked me what I do for living that that impresses this man of intellect. If only there is an impressive way to say I am a stay home wife. I simply gave up. So I just shook their hands as say "I have nothing smart to say".

I was proud of what I have accomplished. I taught English class in spite of no background on Education studies. When financial necessity called, I shifted to call center career for higher pay, but eventually pursued a writing position for a broadcasting network. Each job had a special place in my heart. I enjoyed all the work. I put my heart and dedication to each of them. I made so much friends. I was earning on my own. I enjoyed the feeling of independence. I was able explore my individuality. Then after, marriage turned my life in a different direction.

My life now revolves around house chores. There were several times when everything is clean and there's nothing else to do, I would stay on bed until sundown, wait until the day is finished and wait until another comes. I spent many worthless mornings feeling sorry for myself. When Jon sets off to work,I did not like the thought of waking up in an empty apartment with an empty heart. Have I lost my true calling?

Job hunt became tough for me since I moved to foreign country that is just recovering from recession. I have applied to as many job vacancies available but no one ever called back. This reality struck my pride face down that triggered a feeling of self-worthlessness and lie that a person's value is determined by tittle and figure of salary. It led me to question my value as human being. Have I been missing my true calling?

These thoughts led me to meditate on a passage of the book My Utmost the the Highest.

"God delivers us from sin— we have to deliver ourselves from our individuality. This means offering our natural life to God and sacrificing it to Him, so He may transform it into spiritual life through our obedience." - Oswald Chambers

God showed my heart's selfish desire to uplift myself up to heal my broken pride without realizing I was after pleasing others expectations and my pride's delight rather than how God wants to mold me. His silence to my prayers was the answer while words in the bible comforted my heart with hope that my present situation holds a vital part in transforming my character into life of obedience.

Home may not be the best place for career promotions or salary bonuses but I know I am called to do my best here at this present situation. One thing that surprises is, I like being at home. Looking beyond chores, there is a distinct feeling that home is where my heart wants to be. I like the idea that house is happier if someone is taking care of it. It has been my dream to live in a happier home and the people live in it will someday say “There's no place like my home”.

I was raised in a home where love of husband and wife was lost that resulted to a broken, empty home, This memory gives meaning to see beyond house chores. It encourages me to do the best I can in every little thing I do.

But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; (1 Peter 1:15 NIV)

I know my calling does not end here for where I am is where I am called. As I search for my true calling, I am called to give my best in whatever I do and whatever situation I am in. I tried to ignore what pleases other and focused what pleases God. He is more concerned with the prosperity of my spiritual obedience than my individuality.

Where God will take me next?... I shall see.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for following my blog Happy Accidents. Now following you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myric,
    You are such a sweet, kind, loving person - not to mention an extremely talented artist! I don't know your true calling because that's not for me to say - but I do know you bring forth joy in everything you do and you make people smile. That's important! I don't think our self-worth or our true calling is necessarily in our job or career. Sometimes it is (like your husband) but sometimes not. I've struggled with this question many times, too, though. Love & Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myric, I am SO glad you stopped by and we are now bloggy neighbors. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the title of your blog.

    While reading your post, I thought about one of mine that I think you might like to read. It's titled, "My Life's Work." The link is: http://instillnessandsimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-life-work.html

    You, my dear, have the most important work of all, creating a home. And as far as your calling, we as God's children all have the greatest calling of all, HIS THRONE.

    Hope you come back and visit. Let me know when you read that post. By the way, keep writing and shut out all expectations and comparisons. Write with your heart vs your intellect. "Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar."~E.B.White

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myric...I hope you are having happier times now. Being out of work can be depressing, but keep riding it out. It may help you to take on a smaller part time job until something better comes along that you would find more validating, or even to help keep you busy. Wishing you joy, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautifully, elegantly put. I think we all have different callings; God created each of us to be unique individuals and gives us all unique roles to fulfill -- peace and contentment comes when we finally embrace this. I believe our true value comes from, and is in, Christ, not our jobs, or our possessions, or our accomplishments. Still, a homemaker IS a very important, often underrated, job -- rejoice in it! (So pleased to have discovered your lovely blog; am following you now :)

    ReplyDelete